Saturday, February 28, 2015

Day 28 - Last post of the challenge

My Great Grandparents
at West Quoddy Light
Family History Writing Challenge - Day 28

** NOTE: The italicized font is creative non-fiction. Based upon the stories of my mother and uncle it is my creative writing of their memories. **

I have reached the last day of the Family History Writing challenge. My goal had been to write 250 words a day, and though I haven’t written each and every day (missing I believe 3) when taken as a whole I met the word count.  I don’t exactly know how many writers took part in this challenge, but I do know I have been joined by writers from around the world, who share my passion for family history and genealogy.

I decided to write this evening on the facts that didn't make it into a post over the past 28 days, primarily because I didn't have enough of the story to imagine. I am hopeful that as I continue the conversation with my mother and uncle these stories can be brought to life.  But at this time, here are some bits and pieces yet to be fully written.

The smell of Root beer permeated the air as Wells and Mason walked through the front door of Aunt Ruby’s house in Massachusetts. Sounds of distress came from the kitchen followed by a friendly “hello, I’m in here” as the door closed behind Mommy & Daddy. This is one of my uncle’s memories. He states that when they arrived for a visit at Aunt Ruby’s a large bottle of Homemade Root Beer set behind the cook stove, exploded and spread the sticky mixture all over the floor and walls.

Grandpa Scott with dogs
Mason stood at the head of the cellar stairs waiting expectantly as Daddy slowly climbed, carrying a huge Sea Turtle in his arms. Gently setting the creature down onto the kitchen floor Mason gleefully climbed onto the turtle’s back.  “Careful now,” came the admonishing voice of her father, “don’t scare him, be easy.” Yes, my mother had a pet Sea Turtle that lived in the cellar of her house in Lubec, she was quite young and this would have been prior to my Uncle’s birth. She tells of how when company came to visit, her father would bring the turtle up as an extra seat for her to sit on.  She also tells another funny story about the dog they owned when she was still quite young, and they lived in town.  Mason heard the sternness in her mother’s voice, fearing she was going to get in trouble Mason crawled under the kitchen table.  “Come Tar, come Tar” Mason’s little voice called, to her beloved German Shepherd, Star. Always protective of his little mistress, Star came when called, sometimes even when not. If he sensed Mason might be in danger Star came to her side, protecting her from any real or perceived harm.

Upon seeing a picture of the American Can Plant, my mother told me a story of going to see her father. She remembers standing on the ground and him waving from a second story window. She also recalls how when they still lived in Lubec (versus South Lubec) her father would walk down over the hill to get to work.

Cecil & Edna Scott
My Grandparents
When driving through Lubec past the bandstand and “big” church, inevitably my grandmother’s vocal history is relived.  Grandma was a soloist for the “big” church on the hill, with the most vivid memory being her singing “The Holy City.”  As for the Bandstand, Grandma always sang Patriotic songs for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July…etc.  Also, there is a picture of Grandma in an authentic Passamaquoddy Indian Princess dress standing next to a Man dressed in a Chieftain’s outfit. They had just finished singing “The Indian Love Song” outside before the days of amplification at the Lubec pumping station. There is also a newspaper clipping stating my grandmother sang a solo on WLBZ radio in Bangor; it does not share what the piece was.

Stories of driving over fire hoses as they drove through an area burnt in a forest fire, the smell of Molasses cookies and a visit from their grandparents, aunts and uncles from out of state remain buried in the pages of my journal. As is often the case with oral history, information comes out in bits and pieces and no particular order.

Thank you so much for reading these past 28 days. I have received wonderful support especially from my mother and uncle, who without them this challenge would not have been possible.  My mother has been not only an inspiration but my fact checker and editor.  I’m looking forward to continuing this story as well as my father’s (which I am now a bit inspired to look further into.)  The challenge is over and the goal has been met, I’ll quietly go away now and bury myself in genealogy.

Mason & Wells

1 comment:

  1. Please don't go away. I love your posts; even if they are not about Mason and Wells.