Thursday, April 23, 2015

When “Best” is not enough

Today I celebrate the birth of my best friend. We have known each other for over 30 years and have lived a lot of life during that time.  I titled this “when best is not enough” because in all honesty, “Best Friend” is inadequate to describe how much I appreciate and have come to rely on this person in my life. When I “Googled” the definition of best friend I read some very interesting definitions; all of which are true of our relationship, but still not adequate to describe how awesome she is.  The only definition which came close was a person who you value above other friends in your life, someone you have fun with, someone you trust and someone in whom you confide.” (yourdictionary.com)

In the past 30+ years, we have: camped in the rain, and driven on dirt roads that we probably shouldn't have. We have been to three countries, two continents, seen two oceans and visited numerous states. Experienced some of the nastiest bathrooms along the way; at one point she started a collection of photos of me coming out of port-a-potties and wooded spots we had stopped at for rest areas! Over the years I have likened our friendship to the Disney characters, Buzz and Woody. Can you guess who is who? Let me give you a hint, she is down to earth and has often saved me from flying off to infinity and beyond. (Watch Toy Story if you don’t understand.) There are so many more stories to be told and many more to be lived, since we are both of tender, young years! But let’s suffice it to say, no one could ask for a better traveling companion through the adventure called life. 

One of the saddest things I read in researching what the definition of “Best Friend” came from an article on Wikipedia.  According to a study documented in the June 2006 issue of the American Sociological Review, Americans are thought to be suffering a loss in the quality and quantity of close friendships since at least 1985. The study states that one quarter of all Americans have no close confidants, and that the average total number of confidants per person has dropped from four to two.”

I am indeed saddened to think there are people out there who do not have the excellent support system I have. In addition to my biological family, I have through the years developed friendships that exceed the above mentioned average; with this one bestie at the center. One person referred to a best friend as “precious and rare.”  I wholeheartedly agree, and to have a true best friend is something to be valued above all else. I’m not certain what I would do without her. With the statistics saying 1 in 4 people don’t have what I have, the statistics showing a rise in Mental Illness makes more sense. We all need people in our lives that we can turn to and I pray that all would have at least one, if not more.


In closing, I just want to wish my best friend a very happy birthday!  I am happy you were born and continue to be my friend; “best” just isn't enough to describe you. Now, go eat cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment